Friday, October 16, 2009

Yellow Eyes


Closing my eyes . . . .

listening to the music . . .

I can see in my mind the two wolves roaming the wild country . . . . . . . . .

We've roamed the wild country

My beautiful yellow eyes

Side by side we've hunted

Shadows dancing on northern skies

There have been times of plenty

We were content and serene

Peacefully sleeping

Dangers few and far between

We've also known much hunger

Ribs protruding from each side

Mournfully we howled

When our starving cubs had died

And then there was our first winter

Romping through the glistening snow

Tasting each crystal snowflake

Falling gently to and fro

Ah my dear, sweet yellow eyes

I've known no greater love

Without you I am nothing

Our wild souls are one

And now you lay there dying

Steel jaws upon your frame

Life's blood slowly seeping

I whisper your sweet name

Helpless, I watch you struggle

Chest heaving with labored breath

Steel jaws clenching tighter

Winds whisper the song death

The blood has now stopped flowing

I know the time is near

And you will forever leave me

My love, my life, my dear

And now my world is silent

Your struggles now have ceased

I lay my head upon you

And now you are at peace

Perhaps your soul has lifted

To skies where eagles soar,

And there you'll greet your brothers

To run with them forever more

And someday I shall find you

In the heaven's so far above

And when our wild soul's unite

They'll be no greater love

Joan L. Van Vels


No comments:

Post a Comment